Regular cleaning is necessary for safety precautions and to prolong the life of your dance floor. Alvas recommends sweeping your dance floor daily with a clean, dry dust mop. Thorough cleaning should be done regularly (weekly), but may need to be done more or less frequently depending on usage. Alvas also offers a Matlay/Marlay cleaning and re-taping service. Contact us for more information.
Thorough Cleaning Instructions:
Supplies Needed for Cleaning
- Clean, Dry Dust Mop
- Clean Mop
- Clean Mop Bucket
- Distilled White Vinegar
- Hot Water (As hot as you can get it)
- Thoroughly sweep the Matlay/Marlay dance floor with a clean dust mop prior to mopping the floor.
- Fill the mop bucket with three parts hot water and one part distilled white vinegar. You do not need to fill the bucket up all the way, however the ratio of 75% water and 25% distilled white vinegar should remain the same.
- Apply intense force while mopping to remove the body oils and dirt. (Remember that body oils and dirt have been ground into the Matlay/Marlay with countless hours of dancing. Barefoot dancing compound this situation)
- Ensure the mixture you are using is hot and clean, which means you may need to change out the bucket multiple times while cleaning the Matlay/Marlay. If you mop with dirty and/or cool water, you will just be spreading the dirt and oils around the floor. You will need to cut the oil with hot water and vinegar to get it up and off the floor. When the bucket water stays clear then all the oil is off the floor.
Adding one-part bleach and one-part hot water can be used to clean Matlay/Marlay. Be sure to follow the recommended cleaning instructions using the hot water and vinegar mixture right after.
Note: Alvas cannot guarantee any cleaning will prevent the spread of any viruses.